Friday, February 24, 2012

How to add 2 columns together

SQL2K
I have 2 columns, one is numeric and 2nd is TEXT or memo column.
I have been trying for the last few days with no success.
Here is the statement that I have been using:
UPDATE MYTABLE
SET MYMEMO = STR(PERCENTAGE,7)+' '+MYMEMO
When I run it, I get data type error.
I would appreciate if someone please help me here.
Thx
Hi,
You need to convert the TEXT data type to Varchar for using normal updates.
UPDATE MYTABLE
SET MYMEMO = ltrim(rtrim(convert(char,PERCENTAGE,7)))+'
'+ltrim(rtrim(convert(varchar(8000),MYMEMO)))
Thanks
Hari
SQL Server MVP
"Mac" wrote:

> SQL2K
> --
>
> I have 2 columns, one is numeric and 2nd is TEXT or memo column.
> I have been trying for the last few days with no success.
> Here is the statement that I have been using:
>
> UPDATE MYTABLE
> SET MYMEMO = STR(PERCENTAGE,7)+' '+MYMEMO
> When I run it, I get data type error.
> I would appreciate if someone please help me here.
> Thx
>
>
|||Hi,
Feedback below..
SELECT MAX(DATALENGTH(mymemo)) FROM mytable
-- If the above is < 8000
UPDATE MYTABLE
SET MYMEMO = RTRIM(LTRIM(STR(PERCENTAGE,7)))+' '+
CONVERT(VARCHAR(8000), MYMEMO)
GO
-- If it isn't < 8000 lookup UPDATETEXT clause in SQL Server BOL
Greg

No comments:

Post a Comment