Friday, February 24, 2012

How to activate licenses

I've just installed Workgroup Edition for the first time. I have copies on each of two servers, each ordered with five CALs.

My problem is that I don't know how to assign the licenses. I can't find anything in the documentation about it, nothing in the tools menus, and no reference to SQL Server in the Licensing application. The latter really looks like the right place, so if I had to guess, I'd think I've installed something incorrectly. Shouldn't SQL Server appear there as a product?

Of course, I'd also think this would be documented somewhere, but then it's probably one of those things that any idiot would know, so there's no need to explain it.

Once I get past that problem, I'll be setting up eight workstations. I understand from Microsoft Sales that since I've purchased a total of ten CALs, then all eight workstations will be able to access either server. Do I have to do anything special to make that work? Currently, there's no domain. The servers are just members of a workgroup.

Thanks,

Dick

There is no license 'manager', there is no 'place' to record the licenses. It is an 'honor' system. (Except for Small Business Server -which does have a license manager built it.)

Keep the license information on file in case your organization ever gets hit with a software license compliance audit.

Yes, since you now have 10 CALs, up to 10 client devices can connect to your servers.

In the future, for definitive answers to licensing questions, contact the friendly folks at:

Licensing –VL Contact
(800) 426-9400

No comments:

Post a Comment