Monday, March 26, 2012

How to apply SQL Server 2005 Express SP1 to the version of SQL Server 2005 Express which install

When I installed VS 2005, it installed the default version of SQL Server 2005 Express that ships with Visual Studio 2005 installer media.

How can apply SQL Server 2005 Express SP1 to update this existing instance?

Currently, if I run this query:

SELECT @.@.version

I get the following:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Express Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)

After applying SP1, I should get 9.00.2047.00.

Should I just go to this link and download & install the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP1:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/


Thank you,

Bashman

Follow the instructions on the readme file in the setup package. SQL Express SP1 is not a Service pack fix, its a full product. The instructions in the readme are very detailed to get through the process.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||

Its easy to just say go read the Readme!

Which Readme you talking about?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/1/bd1e0745-0e65-43a5-ac6a-f6173f58d80e/ReadmeSQLEXP2005.htm

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/1/bd1e0745-0e65-43a5-ac6a-f6173f58d80e/ReadmeSQLEXP2005Advanced.htm

Neither of the two above Readme(s) tells me anything related to the VD2005 SQL 2005 Express that I am talking about.

If you know of any other Readme(s), please list the links!

Thanks for NOTHING!

|||

Since I didn't get any meaningful answers, I decided to take a chance and see what happens if I just run the upgrade setup as is.

I made sure I had backups first, then I stopped the SQLEXPRESS service.

Run the setup and followed the instructions on the screen using the default answers for all except for selecting which instance to upgrade.

All went well.

So for anyone looking at this thread, the quick answer is backup and install as is you'll be fine!

Again, thanks for nothing!

|||Hi,

its http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/d/1/bd1e0745-0e65-43a5-ac6a-f6173f58d80e/ReadmeSQLEXP2005.htm

3.1 Prepare for a SQL Server Express SP1 Installation

HTH, Jens SUessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de|||

That's exactly the section I followed (Backup & Stop the service).

Other than that, the rest of the Readme didn't apply to my original question.

Also, good thing that you read the Readme now that I listed the link readly for your reading enjoyment!

Enjoy everyone,

Bashman

|||I lost you, what does "Also, good thing that you read the Readme now that I listed the link readly for your reading enjoyment!" mean ? Which readme do you expect if you are struggeling with SQL Server Express SP1 and you have problems with SQL Server Express SP1. The section if was talking about in my previous post was just about that, for making that clearer I posted you the link to the relevant readme.

You asked the question which should be investigated at 06:08, at 06:12 you answered that you did not get any meaningful explanations, what do you expect the response times to be in a public forum, thats not a monitored chat or a paid support forum. So, you did not receive any answer in 4 minutes ? Thats really "horrible".

HTH, Jens SUessmeyer.

http://www.slqserver2005.de|||

Methinks the lady protests too much!

I always knew that my PC was fast, but I didn't know that it was that fast. Where I actually can backup my data & run a lengthy SQL server installation and post a reply in 4 minutes or less!

I realy have a FAST computer. If anyone is interested, I can list my PC specs for you!

Back to the subject, my reply to your "read the Readme" post was 24 hours after my original Post.

I see your answers on this board and they are usually typical of "read the Readme" kind of answers.

That's fine if you list or point to the Readme link and even better if you would point to the section of the Readme related to the answer of the question.

I did read the Readme(s) that I listed and found the section most apply to my question and took a chance on it.

Then I came back to the board and posted a reply to you and listed the two links (it took me about 4 minuts to write, slow typies but fast PC).

Four minutes later, I then listed what I did to get the job done.

I hope in the future when you answer with "Read the Readme(s)", you would try to point the link or the section most apply to the question/answer.

You know, I could just have gone and ignured this board "because I didn't get any answers from it".

But I came back and listed the Readme(s) and listed what I did so that the next time someone looking for this question/answer, would find something meaningful other than "Read the Readme(s)".

I don't know how long this is talking me to type, but I am the slow typest with a fast PC,

Bashman

|||From you post it seems that you didn′t know where to look at: "Neither of the two above Readme(s) tells me anything related to the VD2005 SQL 2005 Express that I am talking about." My assumptions was that you are smart enough to figure out that I ment the SQL Server Express SP1 readme, sorry for that. So I gave you another hint to look into that special readme under the mentioned section. Nevertheless, good that you fixed your problem.

HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.|||

You want the Credit, you got the Credit!

Yes, whithout your hint I was lost but then I was found! I realy didn't found my why without your reply!

I need your hand holding to lead me to the right Readme file.

By listing the two links, I showed you how loast I was!

But once your hint gave my the way, I managed to resolve my own problem in less than 4 minutes using my fast PC!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

|||OK, you didn′t get it yet. Its just about being polite which you weren′t.

No comments:

Post a Comment